Sunday 13 August 2017

Avocado, rocket and brie scones (vegan)

For International Scone Well this week I made avocado rocket and brie scones.  Despite all my ideas for scones such as pumpkin date and tomato cheese, I finally settled on the half avocado to be used, the rocket in the enticingly named scones and the vegan brie that piqued my curiosity.

I took my inspiration from the Avocado and Hemp Scones at Bite Sized Thoughts and the Green Grass Scones at Laws of the Kitchen.  The cheese was a Damona brie that seemed uninspiring when straight from the fridge but was wonderful and melty when warmed.

The dough was quite sticky and needed a lot of flour to be able to handle in any way.  However I managed to knead it and shove some chunks of brie into it.  When it came out of the oven these scones were soft and amazing.  And I loved that they were really green inside.

I had planned to make pizza for tea.  Then the scones were so lovely that I decided to heat up a tin of tomato soup to eat with them.  The pizza will have to wait for another day.  Meanwhile the scones were great for breakfast the next day too.

I am sending the scones to Tandy at Lavendar and Lime for International Scone Week 2017.

More savoury scones on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Beetroot, apple and walnut scones (v)
Cheeseymite scones
Kale scones (v)
Leek, walnut and blue cheese scones  
Pumpkin, pecan and poppyseed scones (v)
Walnut, brie and apple scones

Avocado, rocket and brie scones
An original Green Gourmet Giraffe recipe
Makes 9

1/3 cup milk (I used soy)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

90g avocado flesh (1/2 an avocado)
1 tsp seeded mustard

1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp chia seeds
pinch salt

30g (1 handful) rocket, chopped
90g brie, cubed and divided
extra flour for handling dough

Mix milk and vinegar.  Set aside to thicken and curdle.

Preheat oven to 220 C and line an oven tray.

Mash avocado with a fork.  Stir in milk mixture and mustard.  Set aside.  Mix dry ingredients in a medium large bowl.  Gently stir in rocket and avocado mixture.

Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead a few times using a good amount of flour to help handle it if it is sticky.  Pat down and push 2/3 of the cheese into it and knead once or twice, then pat down again.  Cut into 9 squares and transfer to prepared oven tray.  Press a chunk of brie into each piece.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.  Wrap in a tea towel until ready to eat.  Best eaten warm on day of baking.

NOTES: I used 1 tbsp vinegar with enough milk to make up 1/2 cup but it was really sticky so I reduced it back to 1/3 cup like Kari did.  But I think the extra milk probably helped make the scones softer.  My scones were vegan with vegan milk and vegan cheese but the scones can be vegan or not depending on diet and available ingredients.  I think the scones would work without cheese if you wanted them vegan and could not find any vegan brie - I highly recommend the Damona vegan brie.  I baked my muffins for 15 minutes but they were quite brown and my oven is slow so I suggest checking earlier. 

On the Stereo:
Picaresque: The Decembrists

9 comments:

  1. Ah I have missed out on Scone week this week as I have been distracted - never mind. You make it up for me though, these are wonderful, really. I have the Green Grass scones bookmarked too, not got round to making them yet - but now i have two scone recipes I want to make. You are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reference to my scones Johanna. Scone week passed me by too but I love the look of these - how intriguing to have a veganised brie too. I also like the sound of your pumpkin date batch that never got made :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see such a creative addition to scone week! The combination of flavours sounds amazing..... Perfect with tomato soup! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cakelaw's scones but added avocado to mine to spread on them. They were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am intrigued by the vegan brie. Does it taste anything like normal brie? Love the use of the avocado. Thanks for taking part :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegan Brie? Fascinating! I have tried a vegan Camembert but this sounds interesting . Love scones and realise since going vegan that I have missed them. Needs rectifying! Love the Decemberists (and The National too)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love a savoury scone! Vegan brie and avocado are new ingredients for me to bring into the dough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum these look great johanna. what a pretty scone they turned out too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These scones look amazing. I will definately try these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)